Thursday, August 28, 2014

September 2014 Newsletter

DHSA LOGO

Upcoming Events:

 

Teen Activity - Eagle Island - Families invited!

Come join us for some end-of-summer fun at Eagle Island this Friday (Aug. 29th) from 1-4 pm!

Eagle Island

Parents can opt to drop off their teens or bring the rest of the family and join in the fun.
Bring sunscreen, water, and snacks to share. We will be swimming and enjoying the sandy beach.
Questions? Call Ruth Ruth Hansen 466-0667 or Tami Tami Hull 724-0289
or Korene Harris 871-5014

DHSA Opening Social

Thursday, September 4th

6-9 PM

Tully Park, Meridian

Tully Playground

Come join us for dinner and fun at DHSA’s annual Opening Social! Thursday, September 4th from 6 to 9 PM at the large picnic shelter at Tully Park in Meridian (2500 N. Linder Road,) Make new friends! Visit with old friends! Bring your skateboards and bikes for the paths and skate park!

We’ll be grilling hotdogs and providing all the fixings for them! Please bring a large side dish or dessert (enough to feed a family the size of yours) to share. For those with last names that begin with A - M, please bring a side dish. For those with last names that begin with N - Z, please bring a dessert.

And don't forget to bring your box tops! DHSA is a volunteer organization funded through Box Tops for Education. The money we receive from redeeming Box Tops funds all our great activities, including our Opening and Closing Socials, holiday parties, and academic fairs. The funds also subsidize the Man Feast, Couples' Meetings, and Mothers' Meetings! If you would prefer to make a monetary donation (in any denomination) in lieu of collecting box tops, we'll humbly and gratefully accept that as well!

Mothers’ Meeting

Penny-Wise Homeschooling

Saturday, 9/27/14 from 9AM to Noon

at Stacey Lytle’s home:

1298 N. Cambrick Dr. in Kuna

frugal homeschooling

Homeschooling CAN be expensive, but it doesn’t HAVE to be! Come learn some ways to educate your family inexpensively! We have several veteran homeschool moms who will share their frugal homeschooling tips and resources!

President’s Message:

We are upon one of my favorite times of the year…as I meet other homeschooling moms, I find that we often share this same feeling. It is a time of planning and preparing, a time of excitement and a time of trepidation, a time of family and time of being together! The change of season is just around the corner…so much to be excited for! And yet, it is also an overwhelming time for many.

I have a little tidbit I’d love to share with you. I have always been a “to-do list” girl. This has served me well from time to time, but has also served up a dish of guilt as I look at a self-imposed, never-ending list of things to be tackled.

I recently put a new plan into practice that is working beautifully for me that I’d love to share with you. It is really quite simple…before going to bed each night, I choose ONE THING. That’s right, just one thing! ONE THING that I absolutely will overcome the very next day. I will not put it off, I will do it and get it over with. It may be as simple as making a phone call or could be as big as tackling cleaning out a closet or writing an outline/syllabus for a class. At first thought, I knew there was NO WAY I could choose just one thing to focus on. BUT, I have found that by choosing only one that is a REALLY big deal to me, I am no longer overwhelmed! I didn’t burden my heart with a list of 20 items that cannot possibly all be checked off the list the following day, I chose just one. And guess what…I can do it! And then, if I wish to, I can add another if I feel the need. But, if not, I’ll just pick the biggest ONE THING again that night to conquer the following day. At the end of the week, I look back with great satisfaction! I am no longer avoiding the big, hard stuff, I am just taking a little bite at a time.

Happy thoughts to you as we begin this fantastic new school year! May each day be filled with at least ONE THING that makes your heart smile!

Stacey

Stacey

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment