Wednesday, November 2, 2016

November 2016

autumn2

Upcoming Events:

Mothers’ Retreat (this will take the place of the November Mothers’ Meeting.) Nov. 10-12 in McCall.

Mom friends: I'm hosting another mom retreat Nov 10-12 in McCall. I still have a few spaces left. Message me at  janetcox123@gmail.com if you want more details. We always have a blast and it is super fun to take a few days away from being mom to laugh and relax and recharge. Nursing babies are welcome.

And if you have a minute, this song by Hilary Weeks is my all time favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0d2XBDBvRA It's the one I turn to on the hard days of motherhood. Someone out there needs it today.

 

Preschool Connections: November 28th at 11:30am at the Boise Main Public Library in Downtown Boise.  Now that I have conquered our first year of “real school” (you know, because my daughter magically turned 5 and could finally be counted as school aged) I feel more comfortable in my role as full time teacher in addition to the rest of my motherly duties, and have tried to find my own niche within the homeschool community. As I’ve followed a few of the homeschool groups on Facebook for awhile (if you forgot to connect with Facebook after the last newsletter, reread it and join us!) I’ve found a common theme of moms whose children are preschool or toddler aged and younger who want to learn more about homeschooling, curriculum, and simply want to connect and start working with their kids before they get to be 5.

There is power in finding your people, and if you don’t know anyone who homeschools, it can be difficult to maintain your resolve to homeschool because you just don’t know what it looks like. On the advice of a homeschool mom I greatly admire, I volunteered to create a new position for DHSA. I am going to be the Preschool Connection Mom. (I’d gladly use any super awesome name you’d rather us call me, but for now I want to make my purpose easily visible). I’m going to organize periodic meetups for preschool parents who are just curious, and would like join our larger group to come and connect. I may not have a lot of experience homeschooling, and if you want to know what it will look like to homeschool high school, I have no clue. My oldest is 6 so we’re still figuring out 1st grade. But if you simply want a place to talk, and a way to meet and connect without feeling out of place because you have no “school aged” kids yet and aren’t “really” homeschooling, I’d love to meet you and help you find other families to connect with.

The first Preschool Connection meeting will be Monday, November 28th at 11:30am at the Boise Main Public Library in Downtown Boise. There is a Storytime from 10:30-11:00, and they are usually pretty full, but I’m hopeful by 11:30 it will be a little less busy and we’ll be able to find parking. If you want to attend Storytime and then read books until we get there, do whatever works for you. I will be leaving promptly by 12:45 as we have an appointment following. If you can’t find parking, I park across the street in the park and walk over. I will have four little ones and try to hang out by the board books.

This is an informal gathering but the library has some awesome toys, books, and games to engage kids of all ages while mom’s can talk. My email is katiemaeormond@gmail.com if you have any questions or would prefer to connect that way, and my Facebook name is Katie Mae. You can message me there as well, but I won’t accept a friend request unless I know you in person. I look forward to meeting you and if you have friends who have considered homeschooling their preschooler, let them know about our meeting. I will hold another meeting sometime in January or February, depending on how the holiday’s go at my house.—Katie Mae Ormond

Co-ops, Classes, and other learning opportunities:

Liberty Speak Speech and Debate
An Independent Homeschool Debate League
SPAR (Impromptu Debate) Workshop/Tournament

WHEN: November 12, 2016 from 9:00 to 12:30, registration at 8:45
WHAT: Come learn a really fun new skill! Instruction and practice on how to SPAR followed by participants giving SPARing in front of judges and getting written feedback. An awards ceremony will follow to recognize top debaters of the day.
COST: Liberty Speak students- $2, Non-Liberty Speak students- $5
If a parent volunteers to be a parent judge the student will get a 50% discount.
WHO: Anyone interested, ages 12-18
WHERE: 533 S Rivershore Ln, Eagle, ID 83616
JUDGES: Are you interested but your child is not yet? Come be a judge and have learn something yourself! Volunteer judges needed. Come help us grow!
REGISTRATION: Email you first and last name and phone number to Kelly Collett at kelly@libertyspeak.org. Questions? Email, call or text at 208-230-0252
Liberty Speak Speech and Debate League Information
This is our first year forming a league with the purpose of providing competitive tournaments in the Treasure Valley. For the Fall semester we will use a workshop format. The first part of the day will be spent learning and practicing an event. The second half of the workshop will actually be a mini tournament in the event that was just taught for students to experience the format as well as receive ballots from judges.

 

Spelling Bee
Hosted by Leadership Connections Homeschool Co-op

Who: All Local Homeschool Families are welcome!
When: 10:30 a.m. December 1st 2016 (Thursday)
Where: Victory Library 10664 W Victory Rd, Boise, ID 83709
Cost: $2 per child
Please contact Melanie Poston at yesmelanieis@gmail.com or 208-284-4828 (texting is great) with any questions and for the spelling lists.
Spelling Bee: Students participate in levels, rather than grades. We have 5 different levels. We ask that once you have won a level, you study for the next level the next time you participate. Please feel free to participate in the level that you will feel challenged, but not overwhelmed. This bee is judged on accuracy.

 

2017 TREASURE VALLEY HOMESCHOOL CONFERENCE: Saturday, February 25th, 2017

TreasureValleyHomeschoolConference

This conference is for ALL Homeschoolers: we can’t wait to see you there!

This year our conference is on Saturday, February 25th. Our youth and adult sessions will both take place on Saturday this year. The conference will be held in Eagle, Idaho.

Bookmark this page to make it easy to come back to visit as we add more details! http://www.mentorofleaders.com/2017-treasure-valley-homeschool-conference/

Early Bird Special!

Adults: $20 (Regular Price: $37)

Youth: $10 (Regular Price: $20)

Early Bird prices are for a limited time. Get your tickets today!

Included in our conference this year is a complimentary, buffet style lunch. We will have an array of foods available and hope that everyone, even those with restricted diets, will find something to their taste. Special orders are not available.

If you are purchasing multiple tickets, you may add the total and enter that amount using the drop down menu: pick other. We will email you to get the names of each participant, and whether the tickets are for youth or adults.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment