Sunday, February 2, 2014

February 2014

DHSA LOGO_thumb[1]

February 2014 Newsletter

 

Upcoming Events:

 

Mothers’ Meeting: Saturday, Feb. 8th, 9:30 AM

book-heart

What books have moved you, changed you, made you think? Made you laugh? What books do you return to time and again?Come share your favorite books! Read-alouds, picture books, novels, biographies, memoirs, and more!  Watch your e-mail (or the DHSA Facebook page!) for location!

Field Trip: Leven Thumps author Obert Skye at the College of Idaho in Caldwell!

Wednesday, February 12th at 1:00pm

Author Obert Skye will speak about the power of imagination and talk about the characters in his books, including some “behind the scenes” information about his stories!
The price: $2.00 a person. This is geared towards 3rd- 9th grade
(Under five is free) pay at the door
The Place:  College of Idaho
Seating is limited so please save your spot ASAP by contacting Kimberly Wing at sosiouxmeto@msn.com or 921-8556

 

Dr. Picklestein—science, chemistry, imagination!

Friday, February 21 at 11:15-12:30

dr. picklestein

Come and join us for an entertaining hour with Dr. Picklestein! He will entertain us with chemistry experiments geared for kids of all ages.  This is a free event (parking is about $3) but you have to reserve your seats.  This field trip fills to capacity every time it is offered. Please contact Kimberly Wing at sosiouxmeto@msn.com to RSVP and for location information as soon as possible.

 

Teen Activity for February! 

Attention:  Starting time & day of the week are different for this activity!

Feb. 22nd (a Saturday) 7:30 - 10:00 pm

mad libs

Bring a snack to share and join us for an amazing Mad Libs team experience!

Please watch for an e-mail with the location!

 

We know how to party! Save the date for a Couples’ Dinner and Dance: the evening of March 1, 2014! More details coming soon!

 

Our annual History Fair is coming up on Tuesday, March 11th.
It will be held from 1:30-3:00 PM at the Boise Veteran's Home: 320 N Collins Rd, Boise, ID 83702

history fair
Bring your displays, dioramas, and dress-ups and enjoy a walk through history with some great people! Please keep your oral presentations to 1-2 minutes.
We look forward to seeing you there!

President’s Message: 

As the month of January closes, three thoughts come to mind that I’d like to share with you.

· Wherever you are, Be There.

· I get to!

· Let go of “that”…

Wherever you are, be there.

 

I have been striving to BE IN THE MOMENT, to really be where I am, in presence and in heart. There are times that we are physically present with our kids or our spouses, but our minds, our thoughts, and our attention wander elsewhere. I don’t want to miss out on the things that are right in front of me and I realize that those who are most important in my life deserve my full attention when I am with them. This is applicable in ALL situations of our lives. Wherever you are, whatever you are doing, with whomever you are engaged…be there, FULLY.

be here now

I get to!

This thought is a big one for me. Years ago, I watched as the health of a dear friend of mine deteriorated until the disease she had been stricken with took her life much too soon. I can still hear her voice as she answered a question I had posed to her as she sat in her wheelchair one afternoon. My question had been a simple one, inquiring of what was most difficult for her and how I could help. Her response touched me in a way I had not expected and has forever changed my heart. She had one little boy that she adored, with the progression of her disease, her days of playing with him had changed. As she pondered my question, her eyes looked upward, a smile crossed her face and then a tear welled in the corner of her eye as she told me how much she missed being able to sit on the floor and play with her little one. She still did all she could with and for him, but life had changed for her.

family playing

For the next several weeks, I rolled on the floor with my babies, I played Legos and Barbie’s every time I was asked; I was consumed with the time I had taken for granted and wished to capture every second of the time I had with my beautiful children.

I also changed my thought pattern…I get to make breakfast for my kids, I don’t have to. I get to take them here and there and everywhere, I don’t have to. I get to do math with 5 or 6 kids all at the same time while they are all at differing levels, I don’t have to…I made this choice and I get to! Having this pattern of thought helps me to be more grateful and aware of the blessings that surround me.

family breakfast

Let go of that…

“That” being anything you cannot control, change or fix.

Why hold onto these things any longer? Let them go…let the happiness and the peace in. We already hold so many things that we are responsible for, allowing ourselves to let the things go that just weigh us down unnecessarily is a gift we owe to ourselves.

letting go butterfly

My hope for each of you is that you focus on the things that bring joy to your lives. Wishing you a month filled with magical moments!

Stacey

Stacey

1 comment: