Friday, March 9, 2012

A Key Moment

I was reading a friend’s blog the other day and ran across this little experience she had with two of her young sons.  With her permission, I’m posting it here:

The young artist  by Ann Darrington

I was sitting at the computer when I heard the boys in the other room.

Charlie: nude means naked.

Johnny: (giggling).

I didn't think much of it. They were sitting at the dining table with paper and markers. A few minutes later, I heard

Charlie: (loudly) Don't show that picture to mom. Don't show it to mom. Johnny, I'm telling you! Don't show that picture to mom!

Johnny was giggling as he approached me but still looked a little sheepish. He showed me his picture. I looked at the picture and he looked at me. No, he watched my face for any sign of reaction. I saw lots of colors and a face, but nothing else I recognized.

Me: It's a nice picture, Johnny. I don't know what it is.

Johnny: It's a nude going to the bathroom.

Ah, now I understood. They both went silent, watching me and waiting. And I knew this was a key moment. How does a mother respond when her son draws a naked person going poop? I'm sure Charlie expected me to disapprove. Johnny might have hoped for some laughter but thought he'd get an eyebrow raise instead. But no, I didn't laugh and I didn't scold. I just calmly said the first thing that came into my head.

"You know, a lot of artists draw nudes."

No comments:

Post a Comment