Monday, October 3, 2011

Dry Milk Order

This is for the same milk we have ordered in the past: non-fat, instantized, Vit A & D fortified, nothing else added (no flavorings or sweeteners, etc.). See the attached spec sheet. I still think this milk tastes as close to fresh milk as you can get for being just dry milk with nothing else. It is the only milk we drink. My husband calls making milk "Milking the virtual cow."

This milk is extremely easy to mix up - cold water and a wire whisk (2/3 cup dry milk to 1 quart water). Even my 7 yr. old can make it. If you are used to Skim or 1% milk you will like this milk. It is the same milk that Country Cream repackages and sells under it's label.

I like my milk with about 2/3 cup of Half and Half per gallon since I grew up drinking whole milk fresh from the dairy with a thin layer of cream on the top. Half and Half contains milk and cream and lasts longer than fresh milk in the fridge so it's easy to have on hand. The beauty of dry milk is that it's cheaper than fresh and you don't have to make "milk runs" to the store, instead you just make milk.

It is $113 for a 50 lb. bag, which is $2.26/lb. You get about 90 gallons of milk per bag, so $1.25/gallon. The info on the attached spec sheet says that 50 lbs. makes 62.5 gallons so I checked the weight I use when making milk (a heaping 2/3 cup dry milk = 2.2 oz., 50 lbs. = 800 oz., 800 divided by 8.8 (for a gallon) = 90.90. Maybe they make it really rich. Even with their numbers, it's still a good deal, $1.80/gallon. I've had other people tell me that they got 90 gallons from a bag also.

It will be delivered on October 14th to my house. Deadline to order is October 8th

email jennifer@teamclark.net to get information on where to send checks.

Just so you know, I don't mark up the milk at all (that's not my business, mine is essential oils:), this is the price direct from the distributor. It fluctuates according to the market but are locking in the price by ordering within two weeks. My contact says the price has been pretty stable lately anyway.

Dry milk from the LDS cannery is currently $8.60 for a #10 can which holds 4.1 lbs., so $2.10/lb.

I tried some of the latest from the cannery and this is my personal opinion: it does not mix up as well as this milk but better than before. It tastes like powdered milk, even chilled overnight, but not as bad as before (my family didn't like it at all though).

We need 36 bags to make a pallet to get this price, so if you know of anyone else that is or might be interested, please send along the information. Thanks!

Other Products: At www.jmswank.com there are other products that can be bought and added to this order. The prices aren't listed because everything fluctuates with the market. So we would need to get a current price. Quantities are as stated so you may want to find someone to share a bag of something with you. Let me know by Monday, Oct. 3rd, what your interests are and I will contact the company. I can vouch for the good taste of the dry eggs, my family likes the cheese powders, and the powdered honey is good though it is not just honey-other things are added.

Remember to check out the blog http://thriveforlife.wordpress.com for other information on food storage, other orders, a few recipes, and health & wellness tips.

All the best to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment